Conference Events – Day by Day

_______________________

Monday, 3 July

Pre-registration from 5 to 8 p.m., Institute of Archaeology, First-floor

 

At your leisure, visit current poster presentations of the PCMA UW:

“Edfu is where it all began… 80 years of Polish archaeology in Egypt" (also in English), The University of Warsaw Museum

“Not just pyramids… 80 years of Polish archaeological research in Egypt and
"Poland–Egypt in the 1920s and 1930s. 90th anniversary of Polish–Egyptian diplomatic relations
”, The Old Library Building foyer

“Polish Centre of Mediterranean Archaeology: Excavations and research in 2016/2017", Institute of Archaeology, Gallery in the Corridor

 

The Old Library

The University Library building was inaugurated in 1894 and immediately acclaimed as a very modern and innovative construction. The huge skeletal grille of iron (part of it is on display back of the main auditorium) was an innovative storeroom design. Renovation in the early 21st century restored the traditional form of the interior decoration, including the splendid hardwood floors, wall décor and wrought iron grills, based on old photographs, while adapting the building to its new role as the University's conference center. Nobel Literature Prize laureate Czesław Miłosz used to work here as a janitor.

Read more: http://en.uw.edu.pl/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/main-sites-of-the-uw.pdf

 

Institute of Archaeology (old Main School)

Designed by the famous architect Antonio Corazzi in 1841, it housed auditoria, assembly hall for the School's Council, professors' reading room and the Rector's Office. The facade was styled on a Greek temple, including a 19th century relief in the tympanum with figures of Aristotle and Plato surrounded by their disciples. For many decades it housed the nature sciences — liquid oxygen was first condensed in these walls by Karol Olszewski and Zygmunt Wróblewski. It is now the seat of the archaeological institute, one of the few University buildings spared from destruction during World War II.

Read more: http://en.uw.edu.pl/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/main-sites-of-the-uw.pdf

_______________________

TUESDAY, 4 July

TOUR of the University of Warsaw Museum

 3–4 p.m., Tyszkiewicz-Potocki Palace, Krakowskie Przedmieście 32 (entrance from the street)

University of Warsaw Museum

In 2016, the University of Warsaw celebrated its bicentennial. A new display in the University Museum highlights the academic development of the institution as well as its dramatic fate reflecting turbulent Polish history in the 19th and 20th centuries. The Tyszkiewicz–Potocki palace, in which it is located, is a jewel of late 18th century residential architecture in Warsaw. In the 1930s, it housed the Polish Academy of Literature and the National Library. The building with its rich stucco decoration of the interior, especially the Ball Room, was meticulously restored for the University's bicentennial.

Read more: http://en.uw.edu.pl/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/main-sites-of-the-uw.pdf

 

_______________________

 

TUESDAY, 4 July

COCKTAIL offered by the Rector of the University of Warsaw

and the Director of the Polish Centre of Mediterranean Archaeology University of Warsaw

 8–10 p.m.

The Kazimierzowski Palace Garden, Main Campus, Krakowskie Przedmieście 26/28

 

The Kazimierzowski Palace and Gardens

Constructed before 1643, the Kazimierzowski Palace is the oldest building of the University. It was a royal country residence standing high on an embankment overlooking the Vistula. In 1765–1766, the last Polish king Stanislaus August Poniatowski remade it into an educational facility, a college for noble youth called The Knights’ School. Polish and American hero Tadeusz Kościuszko studied here. Today it is the seat of the Rector of the University and houses offices of the administration. To the right is the Former Rectory Building where professors had their flats. Among others, the Chopin family with the young Frederic used to live there.

Read more: http://en.uw.edu.pl/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/main-sites-of-the-uw.pdf

_______________________

WEDNESDAY, 5 July

Join us for an informal evening on the Vistula (assuming the weather is good)

We propose to meet after the sessions, at 6.30 p.m., in front of the University Library and then take a stroll down to the river for a quiet drink near Warsaw's cultural and scientific attractions: the Copernicus Science Center and the Museum on the Vistula.

 The University Library

The ultramodern building of the University Library in the Powiśle district, designed by architects Marek Budzyński and Zbigniew Badowski and built in 1999, is also the largest. It houses one of the largest collections of academic books in Poland accommodated on a floor area of 57,000 m2. The fuschia-colored iron structure against the facade is a memento of the Old Library, a unique 19th century book storage construction. The rooftop garden with its two parts joined by a cascading stream is one of the largest roof gardens in Europe (more than 1 ha). Visit to enjoy the four different parts: golden, silver, crimson and green, each with plants reflecting their names, as well as a great panorama of Warsaw and the Library interiors seen from the top.

Read more: http://en.uw.edu.pl/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/main-sites-of-the-uw.pdf

 

The Copernicus Science Centre

One of the largest science centres in Europe with over 450 exhibits in six interdisciplinary sections that intersect, intermingle, and complement one another. And the opportunity to watch over ten million stars at the Heavens of Copernicus planetarium.

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing", wrote Albert Einstein. What better motto than this for a conference of Red Sea Studies?

Read more: http://www.kopernik.org.pl/en/visit-us/copernicus-whats-it-all-about/

 _______________________

Thursday, 6 July

Visit the galleries of the State Archaeological Museum in Warsaw

From 1 to 4 p.m., for the duration of the archaeometallurgical experiment.

 

State Archaeological Museum in Warsaw

Since 1928 the Museum has discharged its tasks of promoting prehistoric archaeology of Poland through the collection, interpretation and scientific publication of artifacts representing the oldest chapters in the history of mankind (through the early Middle Ages) living in the territories of the modern state of Poland. Since 1957 it is housed in the historic Warsaw Arsenal.

Read more: http://www.pma.pl/nowe/en/index.html

 

Tour Old Warsaw with our Guide

3.30–6:30 p.m. - your guide will be waiting at the State Archaeological Museum in Warsaw, ul. Długa 52

Read more: http://www.warsawtour.pl/en/zabytki-i-inne-atrakcje.html

 

Evening in the Faras Gallery at the National Museum in Warsaw

7–9 p.m.

The Faras Gallery

A collection of 67 wall paintings from a medieval Nubian cathedral excavated in Faras by Professor Kazimierz Michałowski and his team during the UNESCO Nubia Campaign in the early 1960s and transferred to Warsaw to create Europe's only major exhibition of Nubian art from the 8th–14th centuries. The tempera paintings are displayed in the context of elements of architectural decoration from the cathedral, as well as epitaphs of local clergymen, ceramics and other artifacts. A digital reconstruction of the cathedral (Faras 3D Project) is part of the new gallery, opened in 2014, which was the winner of Sybilla Grand Prix 2014, Sybilla 2014 and MUSE Awards (American Alliance of Museums).

Read more: http://www.mnw.art.pl/en/collections/permanent-galleries/faras-gallery

 _______________________

Friday, 7 July

General Meeting to discuss the setting up of a society for Red Sea Studies

14.30–16.00, lunch will be served.

Cafeteria at the Kazimierzowski Palace, University of Warsaw Main Campus, Krakowskie Przedmieście 26/28

 

Farewell Conference Dinner

7 p.m., "Aleje 3" Restaurant, National Museum in Warsa, Al. Jerozolimskie 3

Live Music by the Folkers Band

 

The National Museum in Warsaw

Founded in 1862, it is currently one of the oldest art museums in the country. The Modernist building in which it currently resides was erected in 1927–1938. Today, the National Museum in Warsaw boasts a collection numbering around 830,000 works of art from Poland and abroad, from ancient times to the present including paintings, sculptures, drawings, prints, photographs, coins, as well as utilitarian objects and design.

Read more: http://www.mnw.art.pl/en/about-the-museum/

 

 

WEEKEND DAY TRIPS

NOTE: The trips will be organized depending on interest – please check with the Registration Desk.

_______________________

Saturday, 8 July

MAIN CONFERENCE TRIP

Neolithic flint mines in Krzemionki and Sandomierz in the Holy Cross Mountains

 Coach, departure 8 a.m., return late evening

 

The Neolithic flint mines

The Neolithic mines of striped flint in Krzemionki (discovered in 1922) are one of the most valuable monuments of prehistoric mining in the world. The perfectly preserved cavities, mine tips and pi-shaft hollows form a unique industrial landscape from before 5000 years. The exploitation field includes 4000 mines in an area from 20 m to 200 m wide, stretching out for 4.5 km. Here prehistoric man excavated the flint that he then used to make his tool kit. Four different kinds of mines can be distinguished depending on the depth and excavation system. The largest and most complex chamber mines went down up to 9 m. The height of the underground cavities ranges from 55 to 120 cm.

Read more: http://krzemionki.pl/en/musuem/about-us/

Sandomierz

"A picturesque location and an impressive wealth of finely preserved historic monuments have earned Sandomierz a reputation as one of the most beautiful towns in Poland. At one time it played a role of great importance in the life of the country, but nowadays it is simply a rural town of great beauty. The surroundings of Sandomierz are known for their scenic charm and an abundance of fascinating historic remnants."

Read more: http://www.staypoland.com/about_sandomierz.htm

 

ALTERNATIVE

The Wieliczka Salt Mine and Kraków

Morning train to Kraków, return by evening train

 

The “Wieliczka” Salt Mine

A UNESCO World Cultural and Natural Heritage site since 1978, it is visited by more than a million tourists each year. Today, the “Wieliczka” Salt Mine combines many centuries of tradition and modernity, the history of several hundred years and an underground metropolis with extensive infrastructure. The mine is a product of work of tens of generations of miners, a monument to the history of Poland and to the Polish nation – a brand, present in Polish consciousness for centuries.

Read more: https://www.wieliczka-saltmine.com/about-the-mine

_______________________

Sunday, 9 July

Chilling out!

Visit The Museum of King Jan III' Palace at Wilanów in Warsaw

Meet us at the Historic Reconstruction Army Camp by the entrance at 11 a.m.

 

The Palace Museum at Wilanów

See the historic Palace and its scenic gardens, the residence of King John III Sobieski and the location of one of the oldest public museums of antiquities, established by Stanisław Kostka Potocki in the late 18th century.

The reconstruction camp is a tourist attraction presenting the original royal tent of King John III Sobieski at the famous Battle of Vienna in 1683 where he commanded an array of European troops in a victorious battle against invading Turks. The camp also reconstructs the royal mint and the royal forge, demonstrating historic blacksmithing techniques and a selection of 17th century armaments.

Read more: http://www.wilanow-palac.pl/en/palac/palace_and_park

 

 

Warsaw presentation

vaa1vaa2vaa3vaa4

 

 

Day Trips – Krzemionki flint mines and Wieliczka salt mines

 

saa2saa3saa4saa5saa6

Conference program and abstracts available!